Do you have student loans? You may be eligible for the student loan forgiveness plan.
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) will provide up to $20,000 in debt relief to Federal Pell Grant recipients and up to $10,000 in debt relief to non-Pell Grant recipients. Borrowers with loans held by ED are eligible for this relief if their individual income is less than $125,000 (or $250,000 for households).
Step 1: Check if you're eligible
You're eligible for student loan debt relief if your annual federal income was below $125,000 (individual or married, filing separately) or $250,000 (married, filing jointly or head of household) in 2021 or 2020.
- $20,000 in debt relief: If you received a Pell Grant in college and meet the income threshold, you'll be eligible for up to $20,000 in debt relief.
- $10,000 in debt relief: If you did not receive a Pell Grant in college and meet the income threshold, you'll be eligible for up to $10,000 in debt relief.
Step 2: Prepare
Here's what you can do to get ready and to make sure you get our updates:
- Log in to your account on StudentAid.gov and make sure your contact info is up to date. We'll send you updates by both email and text message, so make sure to sign up to receive text alerts. If it's been a while since you've logged in, or you can't remember if you have an account username and password (FSA ID), we offer tips to help you access your account.
- If you don't have a StudentAid.gov account (FSA ID), you should create an account to help you manage your loans.
- Make sure your loan servicer has your most current contact information so they can reach you. If you don't know who your servicer is, you can log in and see your servicer(s) in your account dashboard.
Step 3: Submit your application (when available)
The application will be available online by early October 2022.
We'll share updates on this page and send you an email when the application is available. You'll have until Dec. 31, 2023, to submit your application.
For all the information you need CLICK HERE!
Photo Credit: Getty